Multipair cables with Midi and Audio

Title: Echoplex manual discussion online
I am in the process of trying to construct a multi pair cable that connects two different racks of equipment.  One rack contains midi controlled synths and the other rack contains mixer, processors, etc.  Does anyone know if I build a multi channel connection snake, can I put midi and audio connections in the same cable, or should they be separated.  I would like to purchase one 24 channel cables to carry audio and midi for six devices (12 audio pairs and 12 midi pairs).  Any ideas ... what should I be concerned about (shielding, etc.)?

Thanks,

Steve Ginn