Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V01 #437

At 4:11 AM -0400 8/14/01, diatom drone wrote:
>don't forget cicadas. cicadas rock out.

They do.  I've used them in other pieces, but this present project is
pretty specific. All the sounds are either crickets or frogs
(well...a few toads, too). The piece was conceived out of a debate I
had with Larry Austin about whether certain sounds in John Cage's
"Williams Mix" were crickets or frogs. Larry insisted they were
crickets, citing Earle Brown (who ought to know because he and Cage
spliced all the tapes). I insisted they were frogs. I even asked Bebe
Barron (who did made some of the original dubs back in 1951-52) and
Earle himself. They both said "crickets" but I trust my ears.

So I'm making this 8-channel tape piece out of cricket and frog
sounds, to be played on the same program as Larry Austin's Williams
[re]Mix[ed].

P.S. I listened again, closely, to Williams Mix. It has both crickets
and frogs, but the frogs are louder.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com