Re: Basic intro (OT)

There's an aesthetic issue and an economic/social one.

Aesthetically speaking, loop music using appropriated samples is
as much an art as collage painting, or tape-based art music a la
muique concrete.  As such, the 'artistic merit' of these works
is a subjective determination of inspiration and execution made
by the audience, IMHO.  I don't think coming to a group
consensus on this subject is very important at all.

Economically and socially speaking, it's a different matter
because the ramifications impact real peoples real lives in a
more earthly way.  The whole notion of 'intellectual property'
invokes very strong mixed emotions in me.  Philosophically, I
admire the concept of free information and the notion of
imposing abstract legalistic limitations brings me down.  But
practically speaking, without these limitations, living as an
artist within our current ecomomic/social paradigm would be
unfeasible, in the extremes, and I would not want that result at
all.

However, addressing these issues in a way that balances free
sharing against the economic needs of artist is fucking dicey to
say the least.  As a philosophical discussion, though, it's
interesting.

Mike