Re: GEAR LUST and CREATIVITY

Um, we seem to be forgetting that a violin is a fretless instrument.
Losing
one string raises the tension on the remaining strings forcing the
musician
to modify their fingering.  A really proficient player of fretless
instruments does this all the time, though to a lesser extent usually, and
singers of any proficiency do this constantly without thinking about it.

The amazing thing about Perlman was not that he could find and hit an A at
882 Hz when needed, its that he was able to find replacements for notes
that
he simply could not achieve on a violin whose range may have suddenly been
truncated at one end or the other.  I say 'may' because the article
doesn't
state which string broke.

In any case, I think the instrument being slightly out of tune is small
potatoes when compared to the mental and physical gymnastics it would have
taken to completely rearrange a violin concerto on the fly.

My two cents,
TP