Re: Stereo EDP

At 07:14 AM 8/15/2001, Dennis Leas wrote:
>Hummmm....Gerry's message regarding his stereo EDP operational problems
>make
>me think about how stereo operation works for the EDP...
>
>Using the EFC-7 footswitch (or equivalent) or front panel switch, you tap
>RECORD on the master EDP.  The master sends a MIDI note-on/off to the
>slave
>to start recording.  Likewise, to stop recording, you tap RECORD on the
>master EDP and it sends a MIDI note-on/off to the slave to stop the
>recording.

that is mostly right, but you are forgetting about the brothersync
connection that is necessary for putting multiple echoplexes together like
this. It does two things, one is to synchronize the actual system clocks
of
the different units to operate at the same frequency. That keeps them from
drifting over time.  The second thing is to provide a precise indication
of
when the Record button is pressed. That combined with midi is how the
stereo operation works.

>Since MIDI commands take about 1 millisecond (a little less actually) to
>transmit, doesn't this mean that there is a phase difference between the
>left and right channel?  I.e., the slave signal will be shifted in phase
>with respect to the right.

if you relied entirely on midi, you would have these problems. Worse, it
would drift around as the loops played, making it obvious. If the two
channels are slightly out of phase you probably wouldn't notice it if it
stayed constant. That is something the brothersync helps ensure on a
stereo
echoplex setup. It keeps them locked together at the sample level.

>Even with *real* clever programming, this characteristic would be hard to
>compensate for.

Matthias has been quite clever in sorting this whole problem out. It
really
does work!

>On the other hand, if you used a MIDI footswitch to trigger the EDPs, both
>master and slave would recieve the RECORD commands simultaneously
>resulting
>in no phase error.
>
>Conclusion: For "perfect" stereo looping with the EDP, use a MIDI
>footswitch.

I think it could come out worse actually, since you are dependent on where
each unit is in it's internal software polling for midi events. And you
wouldn't have Matthias' clever programming to help you. In practice
though,
I don't think I noticed any issues either way. The basic setup of having
the master unit send commands to the slave, along with the brothersync
connections, works very well.

kim