(OT) Copyright in a Sampled World...

Well, I've been reading most of this thread. Interesting too. But
incorporating samples, and particularly music, created by others and used
without permission or compensation seems to be a real sticky point for me.
I'm struggling. Caliban, I was with you in your message below until the
very
end. There, you talk about how "absolutely essential" you believe the
concept of copyright law is, but you yourself consciously do not, in
practice, adhere to it. I can see from your posts that you are very
intelligent, so let me ask you: does this seem like a double standard to
you, or is there some way to reconcile the two conflicting positions?

In your long message below, when it comes to the question of the artist
doing what they want to with another's artistic work, you're suggestion,
apparently, is to do what you wish, claim 'fair use' - and hope no one sues
you. Upon closer inspection, however, this doesn't seem to me to be a very
effective legal or moral counterargument - not if you have hope of ever
earning any money from your music anyway.

Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976 says that the fair use of a
copyrighted work for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching, scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. It
goes on to say that in determining whether the use made of a work in any
particular case is a fair use the following factors are considered:

- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a
commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
- the nature of the copyrighted work;
- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
copyrighted work as a whole; and
- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work.

So, Caliban, I'm just wondering: assuming that you do want to earn some
buckolas from your music, how do you legally and morally justify your use
of
samples (meaning music created by others and used without permission or
compensation) under the fair use doctrine?

Kevin