Re: Basic intro (OT)

At 12:05 PM 8/16/01 -0700, you wrote:
>[...]
>Dammit, each generation OF TECHNOLOGY. Not of *people*. Gaaggh.

The first time I read your post I understood it correctly the way you meant
it, but then that line (subject: 'previous generation', adjective:
'jealous', verb: 'claims') threw me and I second-guessed myself. I wasn't
aware that inanimate technology could be emotional or speak for itself.
'Previous' implies a chronological sequence, and I think that, along with
your anthropomorphic characterization of musical equipment might be where
we're getting those connotations of old luddite geezers vs. whippersnappers
with their caps on sideways.

I also think you've made somewhat of a sweeping generalization, although I
do agree with where you went with it when you pointed out the
futility/impossibility of trying to please everyone. I also concur almost
entirely with your opinion of the state of copyright ownership transfer. It
makes me wonder what John Lennon and Nick Drake would think of having been
made posthumous spokesmen for sneakers and volkswagens.

-t