Re: (OT) Copyright in a Sampled World...

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:31:09 -0500, "Bickley" <bickleypunk@pdq.net>
wrote:

>OK, now you've gotten ridiculous.

No, you've just misunderstood.

>If you seriously think that composing music by juxtaposing various samples
>together is some sort of "new order", you're lost.

Oh, I don't. I think copyright laws that actually make sense and protect
artists without unreasonably restricting creativity are the "new order
of things" we need. We can't let everybody do anything, but we need to
let people do *something*.

"Control over the use of one's ideas really constitutes control over
other people's lives, and it is usually used to make their lives more
difficult." -- Richard Stallman

>Go practice your scales, arpeggios, etc., and develop some real
>songwriting
>skills.  Make your own tea.

I've covered that. Go home.