RE: (OT) Copyright in a Sampled World...

Phreaking? Been there, counted the stuffed deer heads on the Secret
Service's walls.

But samples and copyrights: I think that it all depends on just how deep
you
can bury it. The analogy breaks down when one gets down to it. It's not
civil disobediance, really. I mean, we are at the point where I can be a
groove robber. I can steal a rhythm, maybe tune or replace a drum or
four...
and ala peanut butter sandwiches, it's a whole new groove. Do not adjust
your set, I control the vertical (pitch), I control the horizonal
(tempo)...

Obviously there are instances where I'd want to clear a sample. If I felt I
needed to use a specific, recognizable sample, I would clear it. Of course,
if I couldn't get permission,, or afford it (and the money really isn't
going to the artist, it's going to lawers and record companies -- I will
not
argue this point) if there is a situation like that, I would re-create the
sound, much like the Bloodhound Gang did on their first album when they
couldn't get permission from the Cure. (Oh course, there are instances
where
an artist should NOT use a sample -- like Fatboy Slim using Jim Morrison to
abysmal effect.)

But it IS a lifestyle! I'm living on, raised on, this mass of culture. I'm
an Omega male, I'm living at the end of history (we are always at the end
of
history, *wink wink*) and there is currently a solid century of recorded
media that I can draw from. (Not just recorded music!) Just like someone
who
validly uses clippings from a magazine to create art, I will use samples to
get across a sonic representation of my emotional existance. I will
recontextualize my experience as a human in this century, by way of the
products of my surroundings, the products of my culture, the media I am
inundated with.  (And I swear I didn't get this philosophy while wanking
off
to DJ Spooky liner notes.)

Of course an artist desrves credit, of course SOME samples need to be
cleared! But were are currently entering into the period that the record
companies feared 20 years ago. Nowadays anyone with a home computer could
record a hit album using sliced up (and yea, even unrecognizable) bits of
pre-recorded music. They feared it then, and that's partly why we currently
have an unfair and unrealistic system in place today. Far, far too much
grey.

In my understanding of it, Fair Use is not applied to sound the way it is
other mediums. I welcome anyone to correct me if I am wrong.

Can we at least agree that the laws need to be re-examined?

Catblack