MIDI live looping

Hi everyone,

(First time poster - been reading the reflector long enough to be
convinced
that this list is a place imbued with friendliness, benevolence and and
immense amount of know-how :-)

Are there any people of experience with a simple MIDI "looping device" - I
know, I know, it's called a sequencer - but most sequencers I've seen
don't
lend themselves well to a live loop-playing style I'd like to perpetuate:
hands on the instrument (guitar, in my case) and feet on the pedals,
traps,
buttons & twiddly knobs.

I'm using a (Line6) loop delay for "analog" (i.e. audio) looping but would
like to have a second independent "digital" looping option in a MIDI
device
connected to my guitar synth. Only thing is, ideally it would be as or
nearly as simple as my Line6: record/overdub button, tap tempo button,
maybe
reverse / half speed (oo, getting really fancy there). Not being entirely
serious here but the main point is during a live performance, the basic
buttons plus the natural inclination to repeat phrases are your best
friends
in terms of response / availability / predictability. Also I'd prefer it
be a box sitting on the floor - call it guitaristic-compulsive stompbox
disorder.

Any recommendations? Thank you very much!

Nic