Re: Basic intro (OT)

Golly this has turned into quite a thread!

I think "blanket statements" lead to a "warm discussion" (excuse the pun,
but it IS Friday).  And we're ALL making blanket statements.  (There!  I
just did so, myself!)

From: "Richard Zvonar" <zvonar@zvonar.com>
> No.

That statement caught my eye also.  I agree with Richard.

point 1: 4'33" by John Cage
point 2: I've never seen an adequate definition of music, especially one
that the Looper's Delight listers can agree on.
point 3: And what is a "single sound" after all?  Probably the impulse
function (from signal theory, etc.) comes closest to this ideal.  It is
infinite in amplitude and infinitisimal in width.  At least in the time
domain.  In the frequency domain it contains every frequency at unity
amplitude.  I like to think of it as the sound of the Big Bang.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com