Re: Basic intro (OT) - Communicate or NOT?!

Michael K. >> i always thought i was a shallow person because i never knew
what my music communicated.....

Caliban > Has anyone ever found a meaning in your music that was a
completely new concept to you? ("Wow, I love the way you said [whatever]!"
"What? Huh? Do I know you?")

Yes... that's actually quite common to get surprising feedback on a
performance. I've gotten particularly consistent raves after what I've
felt were horribly ragged, desperate performances where I was on the verge
of giving up. You know... bad sound, failed equipment, the impression that
my improv was going NOWHERE, etc. I think it's a cathartic response... an
empathic bonding of sorts. Very strange. I've said more than once, "They
like it RAW!"

I was approached after a 45 minute epic sorta pastoral-set-gone-wrong (It
became progressively more dark and brooding but retained a wide open
feeling...) with the comment that my music was "Plaintive and emotional...
just like the LOWING OF COWS." (This will be in the 'listener raves'
section of my bio for sure!)  Once I quit laughing, we talked a bit more
about how and why my music sounds that way, but I just loved the
comparison.

For the most part, I tend to follow my nose and ignore larger
compositional and narrative constructs. Through listening and
conversational response to what I hear, the natural evolution of a piece,
(if I'm really listening) seems to communicate a 'story' more often than I
expect. I view this as a form of 'letting go' and accepting the results of
real-time interaction... it's a form of Buddhist surrender.  (12 step
music addict meeting... "Yes! I am a musician... and powerless to affect
change on my own... PLEASE!? God HELP ME?!"

On the other hand... I do a lot of thinking about context and want to
develop my compositional side as well.

-Miko

Miko Biffle - Miko.Biffle@asml.com
"Running scared from all the usual distractions!"