RE: anything good in LA next week?/ became gig announces +

At 12:34 PM -0400 8/9/01, Liebig, Steuart A. wrote:

>Thursday, Aug 16 (NO LOOPING BUT THESE GUYS KILL)
>Mark Dresser/Vinny Golia Duo
>Mark Dresser: Contrabass
>Vinny Golia: Woodwinds
>Alterknit Lounge,
>Knitting Factory LA

Did anyone else make it to this gig?  It was excellent!

Both performers are monsters, and they play together with a
sensitivity born of logn association.

I knew Mark at school in San Diego, but I haven't heard him play live
since the early '80s. He was amazing even then. In addition to a
great musical ear and composerly imagination, he is physically
incredibly strong. When the music calls for it he is able to pummel
his instrument to the brink of self-destruction, but he does so with
absolute control and nuance. He also plays with great emotoinal range
and a depth of good humor.

Mark was only beginning to develop as a composer when last I saw him
(1984 in Rome, I think) but this has become a primary musical focus
over the years. He's working on a major project with
trumpeter/composer/maniac Ed Harkins from UCSD, and he has a long
list of commissions in the works.

A small technical note: Mark uses an amplification system on his bass
that combines signals from two mics mounted on the instrument. One is
in the usual place between the bridge and F-holes; the other is at
the nut and its level can be controlled by a pedal. This allows
pickup of sound from both segments of a stopped string, as well as
picking up string rattle and other anciallary sounds as needed.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com