RE: First Looper Reminiscence

Hmmm. 1982, ADA 1280 digital delay. Noisy. Very. A whoppping 1.28
seconds. But tremendous fun. My favorite experience was my first
opportunity to inflic loopage upon unsuspecting listeners: during a
rehearsal for Godspell, I began looping during the jam at the end of the
1st act. The band stopped on cue, but the loop continued with horrified
looks of "what the hell is that?" on all the performers' faces. Such
beautiful noise was running about that I had to keep it going for a
while. I shoulda done it in the performances, but decided to play it
safe... (I had previously tried to convince the director to start the
show with the signer coming down through the audience singing "prepare ye
the way of the lord" then banging a book on his forhead, in honor of
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He didn't find my suggestion amusing.)

Prior to the ADA, I'd been having tons of fun with an old reel-to-reel
(Docoder?), tape and chairs and pencils strategically placed around the
room to keep the loop going.

Jon Durant