Re: OT: giant pipes down Portola Avenue in Santa Cruz and other natural reverbs

  First off, I'd like to thank you Rick, for starting what I'd consider to
be my very favorite thread in my time here on the list.  <smile>  Thanks so
much!
  Anyway, in Boulder Colorado, there's a viaduct which goes under route 36
I believe, which has the most wonderfully long and musical reverb.  I've
played dombec and flute in there, and it's just beautiful.
  There's also a really amazing parking garage which is for Circuit City,
which also has a really interesting reverberant quality to it.  First off,
the reverb is really long, and very intense and clear at the outset, almost
to the point of a swell.  Secondly, most of the midrange and alot of the
highs are diminished, so it can be quite "industrial" and interesting.
It's really eerie and amazing with a cardoor slam.
  there's also this wonderfully large, squeaky door at one of my favorite
restaurants, Turley's, which sounds really low and  gutteral as it
resonates in the little foyer, and is possitively haunting.
  Near another of my favorite restaurants, The Boulder Duchanbe Tea House,
there's a metal sculpture which is made up of tall metal rods standing on
end, close together.  When the wind blows, or you push one of the rods, it
taps against the others, causing them to move also, and creating a
wonderful metallic, resonant repetitious tapping.

Smiles,

Goddess

  At 11:35 PM 8/20/01 -0700, you wrote:
>regarding Chris Muir's remeniscences of giant
>concrete pipes down Portola Ave in Santa Cruz,
>
>I remember them very well and wanted to let anybody know that there is a
>very, very cool
>and new reverberant space right on the Pacific Garden Mall that I just
>discovered.
>
>It is a long hallway that is chained off in the building that now houses
>the
>Oneill surf and clothing shop across from the new cinemas:   you have to
>walk right up to the
>chain link fence and suddenly there is the most beautiful and very long
>reverb present:  I have tried overtone singing,  frame drumming and flute
>playing into this space.
>
>The magic of it is that from ten feet away you dont' even hear
>it......when
>you are right at the chain link fence it is completley mesmerizing.
>
>Here while back, I tried to get a found sound group going on the web and
>tried to get people interested in posting a list of natural and man made
>timbral phenomena that
>we audionauts could discover while travelling around the country.........I
>didn't get much
>interest at all, but I would like to propose this as an off topic thread:
>
>WHAT KICK ASS SONIC ANOMALIES DO YOU KNOW OF IN YOUR HOMETOWN........WHAT
>WIERD ASSED PIECE OF ARCHITECTURE OR SCULPTURES OR PLUMBING EXISTS TO BE
>STRUCK OR BLOWN ON OR OTHERWISE PUSHED INTO RESONANCE........
>
>..........there..........the challenge is out there (which I am sometimes,
>as well  ;-)
>
>yours,  loop.pool (aka, Rick Walker)

---

-Then, anything is possible..."