Re: Mics for field recording

Just a note on Andy's comment about Sony mics.

The "strange capsule arrangement" is probably an M/S configuration, which
is
one of the more accurate ways to capture a stereo field -- at least from
what I understand.

I have and older pistol shaped, three capsule M/S microphone from Sony that
I used for years with a Walkman Pro.  It was the best inexpensive (under
$200) mini-jack microphone I've ever heard, and made wonderful in the field
recordings.   Unfortunately it's not longer in the lineup.

I have been less impressed with some of the newer Sony mics coming out now.
They don't seem to have the sensitivity the old one did.  That said, for
the
money they're useful for field recordings and interesting tools for live.

Sony has been in the microphone business since the late nineteen forties,
I'm sure that their competitors at Beyer and Sennheiser treat their
microphone expertise with due respect.

Best,
Kevin