Re: Mics for field recording

> Just a note on Andy's comment about Sony mics.
>
>  The "strange capsule arrangement" is probably an M/S configuration,
>which
is
>  one of the more accurate ways to capture a stereo field -- at least from
>  what I understand.

M/S would have one capsule (usually cardiod, but not always) pointing
'Forwards', and the other a figure 8 at 90 degrees to this. The 3rd Sony
mic
that I mentioned was obviously aiming at this.
M/S is especially good for recording a single instrument, as that
instrument
will be directly on axis for the main capsule.
The other two have 2 capsules pointing at 180 degrees to each other, so
probably good for holding up vertically for capturing an all round
ambience,
but no good for recording a particular sound. Both mikes look as if you
should point them straight at a sound source, one even has a false grill
support this impression.
There are a number of different stereo miking techniques, and endless
debate
as to which is best. The 2 capsules pointing in opposite directions is not
one of these, I've never seen it mentioned and was surprised to find it
implemented in those mics.
Of course you're right in saying that Sony have been making mikes for
years,
I should have said that they don't have great experience at making
profesional audio mics.
I would expect that if Sony really wanted to make a decent mic, they
could,
even if they had to buy in the expertise. So I wouldn't say don't buy that
Sony, but just to be aware that they've made some duffers.

Its always good to check the second hand shops for stereo mics, as they
often
don't look that expensive, so get sold for much under their worth.
Typically
at about 10% of the original price.

andy butler