feedback (was RE: repeater question)

At 07:24 AM 8/26/2001, M. Steven Ginn wrote:
>What is actual definition and purpose of "Feedback" and why would you
>want to control it?

I think others answered for you what feedback is. If you want to learn
more, there are a lot of articles about this topic on the Looper's Delight
site. For example, the EDP FAQ has a whole section devoted to feedback
questions, including the essential "Understanding Feedback and What It's
Good For":

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/FAQ8.html

there are also explanations of the feedback implementation on the
echoplex,
of course.

Matthias also wrote a bit about Feedback in the "tips from LD" page in the
tips and tricks section:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tips/Tips_fromLD.html

I'm not going to rewrite here what I wrote for the FAQ linked above, but
in
my opinion feedback control is one of the most essential techniques in
performance oriented looping. It's one of the things that makes a serious
looper into a real  musical instrument, because it gives you such an
organic and musical control over the development and evolution of your
loops. Feedback is one of the key things separating loopers from being a
variation of a recording studio, or from the very static sort of loops
that
come from simply triggering a sampler. In those devices the loops just
operate in parallel to you, but you are not musically involved in their
content in real-time. Feedback (and it's complement, overdub) allows you
be musically involved in your loops, creating, evolving, manipulating,
deconstructing.

Learning to use Feedback is one of the key things that takes you past the
beginner stage of looping, the stage where all you do is record some basic
loop and let it repeat forever as a backing track while you play over it.
Overdub is the next step, where you can build and add to your loops. But
you quickly run into the problem there where you loops only grow. You get
what I think of as the "fish trap" effect of looping, where stuff only
goes
into the loops but never comes out again. Eventually you just have a
cluttered mess, and your only option is to kill it and start something
new.
Feedback is what you need to reduce the loop and allows you to make smooth
transitions to something new.

To me, the number one most serious flaw in a number of recent loopers has
been the lack of a feedback control on the loops. The Boss RC-20 and the
Line6 DL4 are guilty of this. They have overdub, but no feedback control!!
So all you can do is add to your loop and grow it bigger, but you can
never
reduce it. You can't evolve to somewhere new. It's painfully obvious (and
to me, irritating) when I see people performing with these devices. They
either stick with something simple in the loop that stays on way too long
(because they have no way to really evolve it), or they build the loop up
too much until it is really busy and crowded and then they can't go
anywhere with it. The music tends to become really static and not move
anywhere.

kim