Re: Yet even more Repeater 1st impressions, requests

Kevin Goldsmith (01:01 PM 08.29.2001) wrote:

 >ON/OFF button! - I'm not sure the reasoning on why this isn't there.  For
 >live work, it doesn't matter so much, but in my studio, in a rack, it's
 >going to be on always, even if I'm not going to use it.  A front panel
 >on/off switch would be really nice for studio work.  I already have this
 >problem with my MoFX and Filter Factory with their rear On/Off switches.
 >The Sleep feature is nice, but it's going to be a pain to have to Sleep
 >the
 >box every time I power up my rack.

I have a lot of gear which either doesn't have a power switch at all or
it's not accessible. My fix is to run everything from a Juice Goose
isolator which is a single rack space box that also provides surge and
over-voltage protection.

A handy front panel power switch on the Juice Goose kills everything in
the
rack(s) at once.

 >My only major disappointment is that you can't edit WAV files on your mac
 >or
 >PC and then drop them on the card and have the repeater discover them.

??? You can... Page 33 in the PDF manual.

 >was hoping that it would be the case.  I haven't tried recording a loop
 >and
 >then editing on the PC and putting it back on the card, but I'm hoping
 >this
 >would work (will it?).

Yeup, in regards to raw audio. Data that Repeater uses for time and pitch
manipulation along with some other info is stored in a proprietary format.
If you modify the raw audio file, then any pointers that the support files
have back into the main file may not line up. That can be "interesting",
but may not be musical.

Repeater does this on purpose to be able to support UNDO and generally
always have a reference back to the original data. If you want to capture
the time/pitch shifting that Repeater has done on a track, then you will
need to resample that track into a clean one, thus creating a new track
who's base .WAV file is shifted.

Mark