Re: digital recording mystery

I haven't thought it completely through, but I don't think lossy
compression
works that way.  If it did, for instance, then each generation of minidisc
dubbing would significantly short the song.  In Petr's example of 0.4
seconds shorter in a four minute song (with one minidisc generation), then
ten generations of dubbing would make the song 4 seconds shorter.  And I
haven't heard anything about multiple minidisc generations shortening songs
in this fashion; only about the reduction in sound quality.

Generally, lossy compression reduces the complexity of the signal and not
it's timing.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com