RE: SimpleTech 128mb formatting

At 02:57 PM 8/30/2001, Damon Langlois (Electrix) wrote:
>SimpleTech are still our highest recommended card.
>
>It has become apparent that there are certain sets of cards currently in
>circulation that may not be compatible with Repeater. We are working with
>SimpleTech to isolate exactly which cards may have problems. We will have
>more information available in the next few days.

hmm...in my professional engineering life, I've dealt with a lot of these
same companies. In my case it is usually with memory modules for dram, but
the same companies make the flash cards, so I assume their operations are
similar in all of their products.

In my last job, I designed next-gen chipsets and motherboards for PC's. It
was a constant nightmare to get all dram memory modules out there working
with our chips. Not only do they vary all over the map in performance
against their own specs, they change regularly! At least with the dram
modules, they all have a little non-volatile memory on them describing
their configurations, drive strength requirements, etc. With enough trial
and error we were able to mostly read the data and configure our memory
controller appropriately. Still, there was always something that didn't
work.

In my current job, I design high-end networking equipment. I deal with the
same companies for the memory modules we want to design in. Of course,
this
application requires high performance parts with high reliability, and we
can afford to pay for it. Now, all of a sudden these same companies let on
that with their consumer grade parts they can't really guarantee the specs
for a given part number! Only on the industrial grades can they do that.
They strongly advise me not to use the consumer parts.

These module companies don't really have much to do with the performance
really, they just make a little pcb and stick some IC's on it. There are a
lot of companies that make the IC chips. (it's the same for flash cards or
dram modules). The module makers try to squeeze some slim profits in the
face of intense competition. Their products, as well as the IC's they use
on them, are basically commodity items. They are sold in spot markets
where
the prices fluctuate hourly. In order to make any money, they have to
change their products all the time according to whichever chips they got
cheapest that day. They don't change the part number, they just put
different IC's on it and sell it as the same thing. If testing a
particular
lot of parts is going to cost too much, well they don't even bother to
test
them. The result is, the consumer grade part number you buy today may not
be anything at all like the same part last week, or the same part next
week!

What I've learned is, if you want consistent performance in memory
modules,
you have to get the industrial grades of these parts. That's what we do
now
for the things we design. Those parts are guaranteed to make the specs,
they will always use the same IC's on them, and they are tested. They cost
more, but avoiding the whole headache of the consumer parts is worth it.
Again, my experience is with dram, but it's the same companies making the
modules and the same companies making the chips as with flash cards. I
imagine the story is the same.

So if Repeater can't work with the whole range of possible card specs out
there, I would seriously advise Electrix to forget about these consumer
grade parts. Either qualify industrial grade parts and have your dealers
sell them to customers as approved memory, or test consumer parts yourself
and sell them direct. You'll save yourselves and your customers a lot of
trouble. Of course there will be some people who bitch about the extra
cost. Let 'em go buy it at their computer superstore and take their
chances. the people who are going to care about getting something they
know
will work won't mind paying a bit more.

kim