Re: repeater price, was Re: no repeater wet/dry mix?

on 31/8/01 10:08 AM, Os at os@scee.sony.co.uk wrote:

>> Alto Music was selling them for under 500 bucks a piece.  They got
>bitched
>> out by Electrix so they raised the price to $549.  I ordered mine for
>$525
>> from Sixte Cycle (affiliated with Leitz Music in Florida).  Guitar
>Center
> is
>> selling them for $599.
>
> just found out that the UK list price is 649 pounds - about $950!
>
> once again, we get screwed royally.  :(
>
> I wonder if Electrix know about this, or whether it's just the
>distributor
> hiking the price?

I have discussed this issue of unreasonable price difference between USA
and
the UK with several dealers on numberless occasions. It applies to any
imported item, no matter of what kind. The general claim is that most of
the
difference is due to custom/import taxes, nothing to do with the dealers
themselves making more profit. Another small portion is due to higher
overall business costs for UK traders (higher income tax, higher rents
etc.)
and the actual cost of shipment.
I don't know if there is a solution. So far the only way around it I could
find is to get someone to buy things for me abroad, then send them to me
marked as "personal present" - Even so the Customs have occasionally opened
the parcel and questioned the "present", once charging me the import tax,
the value added tax plus a handling fee..., thus doubling the actual cost
of
the "present"!

Roberto

Roberto Battista
http://www.robat.scl.net
http://www.robat.scl.net/lectures/index.shtm
Tel. 0044 020 8449 1995
Mobile 0775 960 4344
http://www.rustyrobot.com
independent on-line music distribution,
the music you can't find elsewhere,
hybrid, eclectic, world, looped, unusual...
http://www.robat.scl.net/html/tibet/tibet.shtm
an exciting project on technology applied to
mobile education for developing countries and
remote locations...