Vintage CFC and Repeater first impressions

Hey boys and girls,

Well, it finally happend.  Last night I high tailed it over to Banana's At
Large
and picked up my Repeater.  I must say that Rik my salesman was VERY
knowledgable about The repeater and looping in general.  We had a nice chat
about the Repeater vs. the Echoplex DP and agreed that none of them would
ever
stand up to what the Againinator will be once they open up stem cell
research so
R&D can continue.

I zoomed home, had dinner with my hungry wife, and then finally hooked up
the
Repeater in my rig.  Nothing fancy, just put it at the end of the signal
path.

This fucker is SWEET.

I did have an initial horror: I DIDN'T GET ONE OF THE VINTAGE UPSIDEDOWN
LABLE
CFC CARDS FOR THAT SPECIAL DT/SPLATTERCELL SOUND!  The horror!  Don't
assume the
card goes in with the lable on the bottom.  Mine did not.  Putting it in
with
the lable on top was VERY easy and obvious that it was the correct way to
do it.

One of my MAIN tests of any new gear is wether or not I can "make it go",
on a
basic level, without reading the manual.  Within moments, I had synched an
8 bar
stereo loop to my Roland MC-307.  I don't mind having to record a blank
loop so
that I get seamless ins and outs.  I use that time to build an intro
anyway.
Before I knew it, I was playing the loop backwards and over dubbing onto
it,
then re-reversing it to hear my dubs backwards and my original loop
forward.  I
would say that in terms of useability, that's way more than basic
operation.
Who ever designed the interface of this baby did their home work.  Even
though
they were absent on the day they taught "wet/dry mix." <nelson> ha ha
</nelson>

Well, I didn't have any time to dive deeper, as it was getting close to my
bedtime, and I didn't have my studio setup they way I would truely want it
be.  I can see it's going to take a while to find out the best place for
this in
the signal chain.  One slight critasism is that you don't get both 4
seperate
outputs AND an effects loop.  I knew that before hand and bought it anyway.
Don't think software will fix that one.  No matter, it's plenty versatile,
and
with an extra macie mixer, I think I shouldn't have any problem with this.

I love the marketing-glib-down-with-da-peeps manual, though my eyeball
sockes
are sore from excessive eye rollling.  OUCH!

OK, must head to work.  Was it worth the wait?  Sure was, but it would
have been
sweet to have this last November too.  Damn, I should have had this all my
life!

Mark