Re: Repeater: MIDI (was record CFC)

At 2:54 PM -0400 9/3/01, Tom Ritchford wrote:

>Some synths like Continuous Controller 32 for MIDI Bank Select.
>
>I should know because I spent a reasonable amount of time this weekend
>entering program changes for a Yamaha VL-70, which has multiple banks,
>into my Midi Mitigator, and had to enter "controller 32, value 0" (or 1)
>about a zillion times.

Controller 32 is the Least Significant Byte (LSB) associated with
Controller 0. As far as I know, most devices don't use the LSB
because the MSB allows selection of up to 128 banks.

The VL70 has an unusual implementation of bank select, since it has
only twelve banks. It appears that Yamaha is allowing for multiple
categories of banks, in order to accommodate various General MIDI
formats such as XG. In order to select among the VL70's four main
banks, the MSB (Controller 0) is set to 33 and the LSB (Controller
32) is set to 0, 1, 2, or 3. In order to select among the VL-XG banks
(banks 112-119) the MSB is set to either 97 or 81 and the LSB is set
to the corresponding bank number 112-119.

Has anyone encountered similar implementations?

A very informative discussion of MIDI Bank Select can be found at:

        http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/bank.htm

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com