RE: the power of limits

Title: RE: the power of limits

Well, I've got to say that I feel that it's more a balance game.  To say that "If only I had..." and let that keep you from making music is basically procrastination.

** right. i think this is possibly the main point. i also like stravinski's idea of freedom being in a small box  - - being hemmed in by a small amount of variables gave him artistic freedom.

On the other hand, my JamMan allowed me to make a type of music that I wanted to make, but did not have the tool to do it effectively.  Same thing goes for my computer.  I made music on a four track cassette deck, but it was often a strain to get what I wanted, and always a compromise

with quality.  Was it wrong for me to lust after a decent hard drive recorder?  I don't think so.  Also, for me a big part of music comes from the exploration of technology.  Always has.  My first record purchase was the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour.  My favorite cut?  I Am The Walrus.  My $60 electric guitar did not allow me to make sounds like that, so I dreamed, and slowly it became reality.  There's nothing wrong with wanting more colors in your

palette, unless it keeps you from doing anything.

** i'm pretty much with you on this, with the following exception: while i love gear, i also find it useful to just show up to a gig with nothing except a bass and an amp. it channels my energy differently - - and in a healthy way many times. i can learn a lot from that and then bring it over to the times that i use the mega-setup. it's all about the creativity, though, not the tools. i believe it's healthy to exercise different creative muscles at different times, keeps me on my toes. sometimes a line drawing says more to me than an oil painting, they'e both valuable and have their time.

sl