Re: the dt challenge

I did buy the Repeater for it's possible "live" uses (I've not gig'd in
years,
but my recordings are mostly improvised and therefore need gear that can
react in
"realtime")  So far, other than one time when I got a "CFC SLOW" message,
I've
been mostly happy.  Getting the unit to cue up a new loop and go into
record and
having the ability to kill the input to the output, will pretty much take
care of
my issues.  That sounds like future software updates as far as I can tell.
Sounds like the cue up a new loop into record is a feature that was
removed from
the beta version for some reason.  Hopefully Electrix will add it back.

As far as the CFC issues go,  I think that most CFC manufactures probably
don't
care much about having a great speed spec.  Since digital cameras are the
main
use at this point, performance doesn't matter too much.  Maybe now, that
this and
other devices start using CFC technology, manufactures will develop faster
cards.  Sure, they'll cost more, but I've paid more for SCSI hard drives
for
years to get that extra performance.

I keep hearing about the Repeater being a "hardware" version of ACID, and
while
it shares some of it's cool features, it adds a major one that I feel puts
it in
a new category.  Realtime audio recording.  If ACID could record what I'm
doing
and loop it in real time, my guess is I'd be using ACID and a laptop
instead of a
Repeater right now.  It doesn't so I don't.  This makes the Repeater a live
looper, as far as I can see.

So is it perfect?  No, but it sure is close, imo.  If I had only $600 or so
dollars to spend on a looper (which I did) I'd do what I did, which is get
Repeater.  The hardware of the Echoplex has not changed in years, as far
as I can
see.  Memory is cheap now, processors are faster.  If I were Gibson, I'd
have a
stereo Echoplex on the drawing board, with some modern memory format.  If
it were
non volatile, all the better.  Why not put a gig of memory (about $150 in
today's
retail prices) in a looper (instead of the Repeater's measily 8 meg) and a
zip
disk so that loops could be easily saved to when needed?  Then the
Echoplex would
be the überlooper.

Mark Sottilaro