separate list needed?

Dear all

May I suggest that if many of us wish to continue the discussion following
yesterday's unspeakable atrocity we open a separate list?
It is an important subject but I don't think Looper's delight is the
appropriate place for it, I don't know if others agree.

In some of the recent messages on the subject I can already see some
worrying signs of intolerance and short-sighted blame arising. Please,
let's
not be blinded by the events and reproduce on a smaller scale the same
roots
of evil, this group can do better than that!
If even a group of seemingly intelligent and open minded people like those
on this list can't discuss without accusing each other, what hopes can we
have to live in a better world in the future?

Sadly we can't do anything for those who lost their lives yesterday and
little we can do to save the lives of those who will inevitably (I wish to
be proved wrong on this point) suffer the consequences, some of whom will
equally be innocent civilians.

What we can do is try to understand and do the little we can to contribute
to a better world.

Pointing the finger to Communists or Fascists, Americans or Russians, Islam
or Judaism will do nothing but perpetuate a perverse system.
If we could distance ourselves for a moment from the cruelty of the event
and from our individual cultural background we should be able to see the
picture of a greater design, of historical events that brought us to this
point. No one is totally innocent, no one started it all. It is a mechanism
that evolved in the centuries, it is based on some inherent human
characteristics, there are plenty of reasons to explain (not justify) and
connect events, plenty of models to illustrate it.
Also, and more importantly, there are alternative ways, there would be a
chance to live differently and better.
We need to understand first and then act.

Roberto

Roberto Battista
http://www.robat.scl.net
http://www.robat.scl.net/lectures/index.shtm
Tel. 0044 020 8449 1995
Mobile 0775 960 4344
http://www.rustyrobot.com
independent on-line music distribution,
the music you can't find elsewhere,
hybrid, eclectic, world, looped, unusual...
http://www.robat.scl.net/html/tibet/tibet.shtm
an exciting project on technology applied to
mobile education for developing countries and
remote locations...