Re: What machine can do this please?

Ok, here's what I would use...
go with the laptop, but use Sonic Foundry ACID 3.0 Pro. Use the record
function to record the "snippets of sound" you want, then let them play.
The
only "problem is with the recording, and playback. Acid allows this
(recording and playback simultaneously, but you must make sure that the
soundcard on the laptop is Full Duplex (that might be moot... but you know
that the laptop has to be a relativity "newer" one, at least 266-450 mhz,
for this to really work)). - *hey I remembered to nest my parentheses *****

I know what you mean by AudioMulch. I have tried to use that app for a
while, but it vexes me at every turn !!!!

Now Acid allows you to loop things in different tempo, sizes and "scales",
you should have a LOT of fun with it. If you have any more ACID questions,
post them... I will try to assist you as best as I can.

Now when it comes to a actual "machine", there is a lot to take into
account.
1. What sample grade you want ?
2. How much you want to spend ?
3. What do you mean you want to record 1/2 hour of samples ?
    Does that mean you want to record 1/2 hour then chop up the    sample
into intricate loops ? Or does it mean you want the "performance" to last
1/2 hour ? -  That was not clear.

Now there are  a few portable loopers out there, like the Boss (Roland)
SP303, with a 64 meg smartmedia card, that you can use..... It has an
built
in internal mic, which will make it easy to use, and it lessens the amount
of gear you will carry.
You can also save your loops to Smartmedia, and upload them to your PC for
addition production work.

Lucien E. Darthard
A Goal Is A Dream With A Deadline Placed On It.
     http://go.to/ldarthard/