Re: Kim on EDP

At 11:59 AM 9/27/2001, SoundFNR@aol.com wrote:
> > Andy-
> >  I think delay mode on the echoplex will do what you want.
> >  Insert and Multiply still work the same in delay mode as they do in
>loop
> >  mode. So what you could do is, use a pedal in the expression jack.
>Whenever
> >  you want to do your multiply without any audio added, put the echoplex
>into
> >  delay mode. (you can switch it on the fly while loops are going, if
>you
> >  need to.) Then just turn the loop input volume down and do your
>multiply
>or
> >  insert. Then turn it back up again whenever you want to add stuff to
>the
> >  loop.
> >
> >  hope this helps,
> >  kim
>Thanks for that Kim, but doesn't this mean I'd have to hit Insert and move
>that pedal simultaneously in order to go directly into Insert.

no, it doesn't have to be simultaneous. The pedal control on the loop
input
volume is independent of what function is running. So I would think you
could easily turn the volume down just before you do this insert. Or you
could use Quantize, so the Insert doesn't start until the next cycle
boundary. Then you could press insert well in advance and then turn the
loop input volume down before it starts.

also, since this loop input level control is always available you can
actively control it while you are doing the insert or multiply, so you can
continue playing and decide as you go what gets added to the loop or not.

>Also I'd been
>avoiding adding yet another pedal to my set up!

in this case, it would be the same pedal you would have to control
feedback
in Loop mode. For me that is something I want to have available all the
time anyway, so a dedicated pedal for that seems worth it.

>I'm also thinking about changing my MIDI controller to one that doesn't
>have
>the latency, which would allow me control the volume and Insert in one
>press.

One thing to note, this loop input level control that is available in
delay
mode is actually an analog volume control. (necessary to have smooth
volume
swells that we wanted in this mode, with no zippering noise that you
usually get with midi volume controls.)  Unfortunately that means this
particular loop input level is not midi controllable. Feedback and loop
output volume are midi controllable.

kim