Re: Question on EDP: Non volatile memory?

Kim,

In a message dated 9/30/01 1:34:23 PM, kflint@loopers-delight.com writes:

>If having a lot of static loops stored that you can trigger at will is
>what
>you want to do, perhaps it is a sampler you want. Or if being able to save
>a lot of stuff so you can carefully edit it into a recorded composition is
>what you want to do, perhaps a pc based recording studio is what you
>want...
>... If playing and creating loops live and improvisationally is what you
want
>to do, a performance looper is probably what you want. Don't expect to
>find one tool that does all of these things well, because you won't.

I have to say amen to this. All of these things are (at their conceptual
cores) very different devices. They may seem superficially alike in many
ways but at a much deeper level they are not the same at all.

I do all of the types of things described above in my own music. The
improvising musician (guitar geek) part of me needs the EDPs as
"spontaneous
performance loopers" -- for the very reasons Kim outlines. The somewhat
"more deliberate" composer/sound designer part of me needs the PC
(well actually a Mac in my case) for my more anal-retentive sound/loop/
composition/editing/tweeking needs. And, thirdly, I frequently employ
various sorts of samplers to play all manner of other odd bits of
pre-recorded (often computer-mangeled) stuff that would be either
too hard to reproduce live by any number of real human beings, or loops
that are deliberately so dirt simple and static that no human would
be interested in playing them (there's a time and a place for everything).

I'm not the most advanced loop-person around but over the course
of a couple of decades at it I have found Kim's assertions to be qiuite
true and born out by experience.

Ted