Re: Looper development and production costs?

I think one of the reasons I seem a bit curt on this subject is that I
work very hard every day as a visual designer.  I wouldn't THINK of
trying to design the guts of a piece of digital electronics, or write
the code that makes it go.  So, why does the opposite hold true?  I find
this all the time.

  While in college, my C++ instructor, seeing that I was uninterested in
programming, decided to show me the wonders of java on his web page.  IT
WAS HORRIBLE in every way.  Seriously ugly, with every annoying animated
gif he could find jammed into a train wreck of a page.  I laughed at him
and he seemed perplexed.  "What?" he asked.  I just replied, I'm glad
there are people like you in the world, as I'm glad there are people
like me.  The point is, I know what I can and can't do.  I have no
problem saying, "that's not my bag, man!"

Why (especially when it comes to my field, graphics and animation) does
everyone in the world think, "sure, I'll just change the font in my cad
program and it will be fine."  ***Now, I'm not talking about stuff
people do for their own enjoyment, and I'm not saying that not having an
education makes you bad at something.***  If you enjoy doing something,
do it.  Don't let anyone discourage you.  If you've never had a single
lesson, but spend hours learning and practicing something, you can stop
reading now.  But if it's something you "dabble in" and you know it's
"not your bag" and someone is paying you to do it, go and get some help
from someone who is passionate about it.  Much of the world is mediocher
because of this attitude.  I constantly pass on jobs because I know I
really don't have the skill set to do it right.  Why do so many people
have a problem with doing the same?

Mark Sottilaro