RE: OT Elec. Drum Kit Opinions?

> From: Peter Underwood [mailto:skullyshakespeare@hotmail.com]
> I've actually been very curious about the TrapKat for a number of
> years now.

I've owned a TrapKat for years.  Bought it in 95' or so.  I had trouble
with it in the first 6 months...turned out to be a recall problem that
was fixed by Kat free of charge.  I haven't had a single problem with
it since.  It's been hammered on by many drummers, and is currently
being used daily in practice and in every gig of the band I'm
in...99 Names of God (www.99namesofgod.com).

There are several things I enjoy about it:

1. Practice becomes a more controlled event.  Since the
   drum volume is under control, everyone else keeps their
   volume low.  One of my bands has 3 singers, and we don't
   even use mics to sing during practice.

2. Recording demos and quick stuff is great.  No more 6 hours
   of drum mic placement and setup.  This doesn't replace a
   professionally mic'd drum kit...but when you don't have the
   time or the cash...

3. Switching kits is nice...techno for one song, trash disco
   for another...

You aren't going to get great press-rolls from an electronic drum.
Even Roland's V-Drums can't capture the entire feeling of an
accoustic kit.

One thing to watch out for when switching to electronic drums
live: guitarists.  Guitarists (you know who you are) LOVE to keep
cranking the volume as the hour grows late during a gig.  With an
accoustic kit...the drummer just starts hitting harder to keep
up.  When you play electronics...you reach a max velocity and it
doesn't get any louder.  So you are back there hitting harder and
harder to try and keep your volume up...and it's not helping.  You
are just wearing yourself out.  Sounds silly (why not grab the
volume knob and turn yourself up?)...but I've had this happen
to me, and several people I've played with on V-Drums and the TrapKat.
You just get exhausted until you get used to backing off and not trying
to play harder to play louder.

  Mike McGary