Re: Max in hardware?

At 12:45 PM 11/9/01 -0800, you wrote:
>   I’m thinking more along the lines of what Richard is looking
>for...
>
> While controller mapping is nice, I already own several boxes that can do
>that (MTP, DMC MX-8, etc...)
>
> Some examples of things I’d like to do that I haven’t seen
>that I would like to do:
> Change the rate of a control change messages (multiply values by 2 or 3)
>while clamping them into a range.

may be do-able within the existing software by adjusting gain-settings. Or
if you mean a time-adjustment the gate-shift setups might do this. I'll
check.

> Map a controller to one channel while mapping it’s inverse to
>another controller on another channel.

Do you mean inverse data 127-0? There are entries for PBUp/Dn and VolUp/Dn,
but for other CCs you could draft a reverse curve for that, assign it to a
pad (or MIDI, and link it to a different pad with a different CC and
different curve. Or we re-write a mode to handle a user-entered CC to the
VolDn slot, for instance. Not too hard.

> Generate custom pre-programmed arpeggios per-note or by velocity.

Got that. the chord-generator gets you started with basic chord-types. Add
notes or roll your own however you like then play out the notes (up to 8)
all together as a chord, stepped one-at-a-time, or as a sequence
(arpeggio). The timing of the arpeggio defaults to 100ms but you can edit
each note to whatever timing you like, 1-9999 ms. Turning on GateShift
expands the timing with velocity. TapTempo can re-time the full arpeggio.
Looping may be set to play the arp or chord 1-255 times, or forever until
you toggle it off. In any case the appearance of any note is defined by its
velocity-window and consequently the arpeggio can be made to sound
different based on velocity, like making chord-extensions appear with a
harder hit, for instance.

> Generate MIDI without an event, on it’s own (play a looping
>pre-programmed sequence).

what starts it?

> Generate MIDI notes based on a random function, synched to midi clock.

we've done this twice by accident, once was a solder bridge at the right
spot and once was a software mistake. In both cases the instrument could be
left to play itself endlessly without any musical repetition but the
semblance of order or phrasing seemed to be happening. Truly frightening.
We all just stood and listened for a while. I left the software bug buried
but disabled in case I ever wanted to retrieve it, the auto-play mode.

> Create volume groups (map a volume change on one channel to a volume
>change on several other channels at the same time).

we do this by mapping an input volume change to a pad-slot that has up to 8
volume change messages attached. Or expand it further by Linking to another
pad. How is this different that CC-mapping for other CCs?

> I’ve done all the above with early versions of max, but I
>haven’ The point is that I want full control of MIDI from input to
>output in a visually programmable way (a la max) that I can download into
>little box to run my midi programs (a la Nord Modular).

a reasonable goal.
-hs

http://www.starrlabs.com