Re: Reaktor -- computer looping

i think this is what they are referring to as the latency issue.
most i/o on a pc used to be buffered.  the size of the buffer
gives you protection if the cpu is busy for a while, but at the cost
of disallowing changes to occur to the buffered data.
bigger buffer, easier on cpu, bigger latency....

for those with the means and the computer dweeb inclination,
kyma promises a latency of less than 1 sample.
(so it's only a problem when i play REAL fast)
and dennis has some cool looper tools for kyma
(available "soon" i hear)

i have a pulsar card which promises very low latency, and seems
to deliver, but i haven't really used it for real time performance...

both of these deliver low latency by using dsp on the audio device
instead of cpu for signal processing calculations.
maybe as cpu speeds go into the stratosphere and multimedia becomes
more important (tv/phone/radio/stereo/browser/pc merge) this will become
unnecessary...

anyone know how apple is delivering cpu time on demand?