ON TOPIC - Was: Re: Phil Keaggy -- looping in general - nothing ventured, nothing expressed

snips
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Sandberg <stevesandberg@earthlink.net>
>I've been looping for about a year now, and find that I absolutely love it
>at home.  I can get lost in loops, I can play and hit wonderful zones
>where
>I feel that I can go on forever, I sometimes create loops that I can
>listen
>to for a long long time and go to some wonderful emotional places with.
>However, sometimes it's just dry -- and not really happening -- and this
>seems pretty much out of my control.
>And this makes it kind of scary for live performances.  I like the freedom
>of looping.  I don't really like planning things in advance -- but it
>seems
>out of my control whether anything is going to work live or not.
>Another thing that seems to make things work or not is, the levels of
>overdubbed sounds in a loop really contribute to making something ordinary
>or magical -- and this seems hard to control, too.
>I recently did a half hour of live looped music in Williamsburg
accompanying
>modern dance.  We recorded two nights of videos -- and the first night
>(which, oddly, I thought was the better one) made me cringe.  The second
>night was pretty good.
>I'm wondering if my looping experience is par for the course, or if
>there's
>something I'm missing -- anyone have any thoughts on this?

GET OUT! Keep doing it. It makes sense because it touches a part of you
that
your average self only gets the chance to glimpse into the infinite nothing
(ya lucky stiff!) and let's be honest now. It's scary in an exhilaratingly
scary kind of way. So go and play and record and share it and find the
space
where live performance is an extension of your life as much as you let the
loop run it's course through your life. Keep going from home and record and
write around in the pure bliss that can be captured in this way. This
moving
canvas is for all of us to use. Throw up some paint, the canvas is moving
again and there is plenty of room for many. So get to it bro!
best regards, Pedro Felix - NYC 2001
Post Script - i'm sleepy many days and nights with music and a hyper-aware
state forces the above good fun!