Re: the perils of live looping (addition question)

> -- One reason I personally have been trying tooth and nail to steer away
> from effects-laden, ambient-styled loop work is because I've found that
> it hard to capture and hold a live audience with that approach.  Now,
> for a lot of ambient musicians, that's exactly the point -- to NOT
> necessarily demand their focused listening, and to function as a
> background environmental aspect just as much as a foreground element.
> For me personally, though, I want to be able to grab and hold a
> listener, and I've found that it's hard to do that with the
> ambient/ebowed/droney/rubato/soundscapey angle.

Exactly Andre!  Expectations are what can get you in trouble.  Playing
an ambient set and expecting an audience to hang on your every note is
unfair to the audience.  I for one, like playing
ambient/bowed/droney/rubato(what the hell is that?)/soundscapey stuff,
but at things like art openings, or at a cafe where the art or social
interaction is the focus, not me.

You'll still get that random person at the end that asks about your
gear, or say, "Do you know the band Can?"

Mark Sottilaro