Re: payment for service (long? you be the judge)

A common source of friction between musicians and venue owners is that
musicians operate under the assumption that if they show up and make nice
sounds, they should get paid, they've done their part.  Owners tend to take
the position that if the musician can be shown to have increased the
business for the night, then they get paid.  The quality and character of
the sounds produced is often secondary, as long as the bar cash register
keeps ringing.

Often, these two assumptions go unstated, or at least unelaborated.  The
musician feels he should get paid in at least the same manner as the guy
mopping the floor, i.e. if the the floor is mopped, money is forked over.
The venue owner probably already has a juke box or CD player installed
which
keeps most of the customers happy (and drinking) most of the time--why
should he give up some of his hard-earned income to some guy making weird
noises?  Or even normal noises if there's no bump in the sales?

Some owners will be totally up front about this and let you know that your
continued success is dependent upon people showing up to see you AND buying
something while they're there.  If you see your friends coming out to a
show
to "support" you, and then drinking water, explain to them that if they're
not spending money they're don't register on the owner's radar.  They're
taking up space for real, paying customers (understand that this is all
from
the viewpoint of the business-minded owner).

Many owners will profess their "love of live music" and their "support of
the the arts".  Some of these people are squarely full of shit, some are
sincere, yet somewhat mistaken, and very, very few are totally on the level
with you.  If you find someone like that, stick to them like glue.  Learn
recognize the first two types (quickly) and adjust your plans and
expectations accordingly.  There's nothing wrong with asking a booking
agent
up front what has to happen for the evening to be a success in their eyes.
Don't be shocked or offended if they discuss it purely in terms of
beer/coffee sold.  Fitting art into the business world is tricky business,
and up close bears a striking resemblance to the manufacture of sausages.

And, if you're going to be hard-line/uncompromising/supremely-principled in
what constitutes acceptable pay, be prepared to play in paying venues
somewhat...infrequently.  Taking the attitude that "if beer's being sold
while I'm playing, then I get paid" may bite you in the ass when at the end
of the night the owner comes by and demands his cut of your CD/t-shirt
sales.  After all, if you're using his storefront to promote and sell your
product, why shouldn't he get a cut?  Oh, and you are reporting your sales
tax on that, right?

Despite the grimness of the above, music still finds a way to happen.  Just
be prepared for a few obstacles along the way.

TH