RE: A negative review for 2002

Title: RE: A negative review for 2002

hey ted,

here's my take on things like this:

i actually use reviews like this in my press pieces because they actually do give the idea of what the music is - - *as seen through the eyes of the reviewer* - - which means that the reviewer is wearing his/her biases on his/her sleeve.

(one of my favorite reviews of one of my discs was saying that you shouldn't listen to it by yourself in a dark house. the reviewer didn't like the disc, but it sure *did* something to him.)

also consider that there are some great descriptors in here that would make me intrigued by your project:

>If Terminator 2's evil robot played Morricone-styled guitar to
the accompaniment of loops of questionable tonality, it'd
sound like Ted Killian.<

>For some reason, I was put in mind of the Cronenberg
flick Videodrome while listening; the whole idea of a
disintegrating future, of some kind of technological
breakdown is communicated in these tunes so
successfully that it's difficult to believe that there isn't
a piece of film that goes with them.<

>with a stomping bassline and searing
guitar that threaten to rip off your ears.<

>Not as truly astringent as other guitar-wielding noiseniks, Killian
seems to always keep some sense of the tune inside
his world-o'-shred.<

>That said, it's a strong album -- there are some good ideas
here -- but just don't be surprised if you find yourself digging
out your guitar and an EBow after giving it a spin.<

** what i see is that - - despite this person's trying hard not to like it (due to whatever personal reasons - - he seems to be quite tuned into the tech behind the disc - - probably a guitar player!)  - - he was actually **affected** by it. that *is* important!

** the last bit about making you want to get out your guitar and e-bow, while seeming like a slam, may actually be great because it points to the listener being inspired to go and make music . . .

also i think that it could be worse, it could say nothing about the music. contrast this with a review i got recently that lumped my cd "pomengranate" in with a bunch of "bass player" albums. it acted as if the album was supposed to be a showcase for my bass chops - - a solo vehicle for me in a blowing session  - - where is really is four concerti written for other soloists (the disc is about my *writing*, not my playing) . . .

in pollyanna-land,

stig

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail. Thank you.