FW: EDP and Repeater in Rig

I understand where you're coming from if you're trying to decide between
the
two units. Its a tough choice. And working with the two together? The
possibilities are mind boggling, but for myself, I find I reach for one or
the other, at different times. Maybe in a few months I'll overcome my
option
anxiety and try some experiments like Per has done. I still find that there
are unexplored reaches in each box *alone*. (Harkening back to that thread
on limits, there is something musical about having them)

I have both and was going to sell my EDP (the RPTR is amazing!) but backed
off, realizing that, as people have said: the EDP is better for live
playing.
 esp vis a vis working with multiple loops; going from record straight to
overdub; having many deep realtime options with immediate response. Great
interactivity for improvisation where the EDP is like an ultra-responsive
instrument, a mirror of your playing. But its only mono, and has no effects
loop or storage...

For me, Repeater is more of a 'composition' oriented machine with its
multiple tracks and file system. Also its wonderful for  DJ type stuff or
'post production' with its effects loop, pitch shift features, and ability
to move phrases around on an individual track basis. I find with the RPTR I
more often than with EDP take my hands off my instrument, in order to work
the midi sliders and effects parameters. BTW having that effects loop is
fantastic, and exponentially ups the ante for timbral and rhythmic
exploration. Not to speak of the sounds obtained by lowering the tempo to
10
or so without changing pitch :-)

Neil Goldstein
Portland, Oregon