Re: Grungy Digital Delays?

>Also the "Time Machines" have an internal trimpot that you can adjust
resolution/delay time ratio to the point of aliased madness.  Any
commentary on
this, Suit?

some more, yes my friend. this commentary is all from my own perspective
and
ears ... i do not actually know what the structure of this device _is_.

the anti-aliasing filter on the RDS-7.6 is calibrated for a
_seven_point_six_
second delay. period. when you adjust the delay time using the trimpot, the
filter cutoff stays the same. i went from a 7.6 sec delay to a 35+second
delay
... which puts the filter cutoff above the sampling frequency, and FAR
past the
Nyquihst frequency ... the signal is totally aliasing out of control.
that's why
i said it was a SHITTY SHITTY SHITTY delay ... it's beautiful.

i think the RDS-8000 is structured differently, because i get no aliasing.

these delays are great. i'm trying to build a modular synth, and they have
such
nice interfacing i think i need to get a few more of them to incorporate in
modular patches. they really are amazing pieces of gear and i regret ever
selling the first one i got ... thank god he sold it back to me.

you know the rumour Pat Matheny buys every GR-300 that pops up on Ebay? i
might
be like that with RDS units in about 10 years.

Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com