Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V02 #39

> Subject: Re: ADVICE ABOUT MUSIC BUSINESS, ETC.
>
> max valentino wrote:
>
> > I second everything Rick Walker posted about:
> >
> > Be your own recording label!!!
> and while you're at it, pick up a free
> subscription to tape op magazine.

This is a great thread! I am also thankful to
Phil on this list for introducing me to TapeOp.
It's really helped me. I am very inspired by all
the people who are doing it themselves, and I'm
trying to figure out how to do this myself.

I can offer two great resources that I've found:
1) Berklee School of Music Tip of the Day
(through Harmony Central):
http://www.berkleepress.com/tips/default.shtml
They offer daily tips sent to your e-mail on
whatever topics you choose. I've found the
production and engineering tips to be most
helpful. I keep the ones that are helpful and
delete the rest.

2) Sara Ayers' DIY page:
http://www.saraayers.com/mlinks.htm
This page was the kick-in-the-ass I needed to get
back into making music again. Chock full of good
info.

3) The only book I've really ever read
(partially) on this subject: Diane Sward
Rappaport's "How to Make and Sell Your Own
Recordings." She's put out several editions of
this book. Targeted to independent musicians. So
the story goes, Loreena McKennitt read it and
applied its advice to start Quinlan Road Records.

Hope these are helpful! Actually, the very best
resource I've found so far are the threads and
discussions on THIS LIST!!

Mary Jane