Re: Cables

At 11:10 AM 1/25/2002, just john wrote:
> >another thing to be careful of are devices using wall warts or
>line-lumps
>

> >It continues to baffle me why some manufacturers use these things in
>fairly
> >pricey gear. there's just no excuse for that, imo.
> >
> >kim
> >

>My understanding is that it has something to do with being approved by
>Underwriters Laboratories.
>
>(I have a song out that mentions wall warts ...)
>---

that's the excuse that is usually given. IMO, that's not a valid excuse.
How much does that have to do with the needs of their customers? Answer:
nothing. These companies should suck it up, do the design work, get the
approvals, and sell products that meet their customer's needs. And you the
customer should be demanding that they do.

Seriously, I design electronics hardware for a living. I know what it
takes
to do a proper power supply design for a professional audio product and
meet performance and regulatory requirements. It can be done easily in a
product costing more than a couple hundred dollars. It isn't that hard
unless your engineers are incompetent for the job. That's why I continue
say there is no excuse for wall warts in products intended for
professional
audio use.

kim