Re: Cables

At 03:56 PM 1/25/2002, just john wrote:
>I would think an advantage to having the power supply handled outside the
>unit would be that the same unit could be used in different nations with
>different sorts of power.  Just get a different wall wart.

That's not an advantage. What if you can't find that special version of
wall wart in the country you happen to be in when it breaks? How long will
it take you to find it or special order it?

It's fairly easy to design an internal power supply that supports all
international power systems and put a standard IEC connector on it for the
AC cable. Then when you travel you just need to find the commonly
available
IEC cable that matches that region. These are used on most computers and
electronic gear, so it will be easy to find wherever you are. It's pretty
normal for musicians to travel to other countries with their gear, so it
should likewise be normal for the gear to be designed with traveling in
mind.

kim