Re: Anybody out there speak Italian?

----- Original Message -----
From: <KILLINFO@aol.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 7:38 PM
Subject: Anybody out there speak Italian?

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/italy/reviews/R1201_301_it.HTM

> Flux Aeterna, Ted Killian
> (pfMentum - USA - 2001)
>
> Maurizio Comandini
>
> Ecco un album che potrebbe essere usato per attirare nelle caverne misteriose
> delle avanguardie anche gli appassionati di rock pił curiosi. Lo diciamo con
> grande simpatia per questo tipo di tranelli, del tutto leciti e propedeutici,
> addirittura essenziali per la crescita delle migliori pulsioni cognitive.
Here you have an album that could be used to attract in the mysterious caves of the musical avantgardes even the most curious rock fans. We tell this with a great sympathy for this kind of tricks totally right and propedeutics, almost essential for the growth of the best learning pulsions.

> Il chitarrista Ted Killian costruisce dieci brani in perfetta solitudine
> (assistito dal trombettista Jeff Kaiser solo per la parte tecnica relativa al
> missaggio e alla masterizzazione) e lo fa utilizzando al meglio le tecniche
> del loop e delle sovraincisioni, creando una sorta di alone fatto di piccoli
> anelli di suono, sussurri ritmici, rumori industriali messi in fila a creare
> una sorta di matrice frammentata, e su questo panorama sonoro che gli fa da
> sfondo improvvisa a lungo con la sua chitarra elettrica ben effettata che
> utilizza con una notevole padronanza di un linguaggio piuttosto originale che
> lascia intravedere squarci di una perfetta conoscenza delle tecniche e dei
> suoni legati al rock e alla psichedelia.
The Guitarist Ted Killian builds ten songs in perfect solitude (helped by trumpet player Jeff Kaiser only in the technical part regarding mixing and mastering), and he does it by using at the best the overdub and looping techniques, creating some kind of an halo made up of little sound rings, rythmical whispers, industrial noises lined up to create some sort of fragmented matrix, and on this sonic panorama that is on the background he plays improvising for a long time with his electric guitar, well effected, and he uses it with a great mastery of a very original language that makes you see passages of a perfect knowledge of the techniques and of the sounds of rock and psychedelic music.

> Killian ha una visione molto interessante su come far interagire queste due
> componenti (fondali derivati dalla musica d'avanguardia e improvvisazione
> rockeggiante) e riesce a tenere ben desta l'attenzione anche per i brani pił
> lunghi (spesso si passano gli otto minuti) che sono solitamente basati su
> suggestive sezioni ipnotiche che lasciano immaginare inusuali manipolazioni
> morfologiche delle sonoritą di base impiegate. Certi momenti potrebbero
> essere tranquillamente trapiantati nei dischi dei Grateful Dead pił lisergici
> o magari in qualche produzione di Elliott Sharp, Henry Kaiser o di David
> Torn, i primi nomi che vengono alla mente ascoltando questo ottimo Flux
> Aeterna registrato in California nella primavera del 2001.
Killian has a really interesting vision on how to make these two components interact (backgrounds derived from avantgarde music and rocking improvisation) and is able to keep the attention of the listener well awaken even during the longer pieces (often the songs are longer than 8 minutes) that are usually based on really suggestive hypnotic sections that make you think of inusual morpholigic manipolations of the base sounds used. Certain moments could be easily transplanted in the most lysergic albums of the Greatful Dead or from some production by Elliot Sharp, Henry Kaiser or David Torn, the first names that come to your mind when you listen this great Flux Aeterna, recorded in California in the 2001 Spring.

www.pfmentum.com