Re: guitar synth opinions/experience/etc.

In a message dated 1/27/02 JIMFOWLER@prodigy.net writes:

>anybody got any suggestions for a guitar synthesizer?
>roland 33 looks nice, but i'd like some experienced
>opinions if you don't mind.

I have been using a Roland GR-1 for years and years now.
The newer GR-33 has many advantages (I've tried it out
at various times) but I have stuck with what I know.
The Roland stuff is pretty rugged (mine gets most of
it's use by simply being my main foot controller).

All-in-all the tracking is pretty good if the hex pickup
is set up correctly (don't underestimate the importance
of this). A poorly set up GK pickup will only give you grief.

Also, I find that the actual sound patches on both the
older and newer G-series synths leave a lot to be desired.
You have to edit and process and tweak the heck out of
any patch to get anything remotely interesting out.
But I guess that's the same with just about anything.

I also augment it with an E-mu Proteus via MIDI.

Best,

Ted Killian