Re: guitar synth opinions/experience/etc.

Title: Re: guitar synth opinions/experience/etc.
i've been doing the midi guitar thing for about 15 years and it wasn't til the axon 100 came along that i really felt i had something that i could play what i wanted instead of what it wanted.  i'd always used midi on electric guitars before, but with the axon i have my acoustics equipped with RMC pickups and it works quite well.
That said, you have to have very clean technique and spend some serious time learning the limitations, which kinds of patches work well, etc.  the axon is deep, more stuff you can do, but more complex to figure out than the roland.
i haven't used the 33, but have tried the older rolands and none tracked as evenly as the axon.  since the roland was doing pitch to midi conversion, it was slower on the low strings.  the axon uses a different technology that has something to do with learning the transients of the different notes and tracks more evenly across the instrument.  roland is easier to use right out of the box.
i do drum parts on acoustic guitar with 2 hand tapping and put them into my repeater and it works.

i'd really suggest you spend some serious time with each if you are planning on doing anything where timing is important. then decide.   clearly pads are easy on anything.  hell,  i could do them on my old casio midi guitar.  but really think about what you want to do with it.  it's a big investment in both time and money to do something that's not just a novelty.  i got into it because i was doing a lot of music for theatre solo and needed to be able to create whatever the piece called for--like being a sitar when you're in india.
good luck.
paul reisler

Subject: guitar synth opinions/experience/etc.

anybody got any suggestions for a guitar synthesizer?
roland 33 looks nice, but i'd like some experienced
opinions if you don't mind.

thanks for your help.

jim

Paul Reisler