Re: A Post Loopsatock Debriefing (One Perspective)

At 6:28 PM -0500 3/4/02, KILLINFO@aol.com wrote:

>Unfortunately I needed to get up and get ready to drive north immediately
>after a quick Denny's breakfast. Zzzzzzzz.

Sorry you couldn't join us for brunch. It was a gas!

>Richard Z. processed a variety of material from a number of
>prerecorded CDs through at least 3 Eventides (and who knows what
>else).

Three Eventides: H3000, DSP4000, Andaman (prototype Orville). No
other processing. Mixing through a Mackie 1604.

>Starting with electronic sounding static-like noises

Crickets mixed with Iannis Xenakis' "The Legend of E'er"

>snippets of recorded narrative that sounded much like self-help
>recordings or those "paid advertisement" shows on TV . . .

Alvin Lucier's "I am sitting in a room" and John Cage and David
Tudor's "Indeterminacy>"

>Got a CD?

I have several, but just wasn't in a mood to be hawking them at the
performance.

>9:00-9:30  Rick Walker's Loop.pooL
>My wife said it was great. It reminded her of Laurie Anderson a little
>somehow

There's a certain kindred aesthetic, especially in the creative use
of simple toys and found objects. Laurie lives on Canal Street in New
York, where there are many surplus shops and cheap electronics
outlets.

Rick also reminds me of some friends of mine from San Diego who
perform as a duo called [THE]. They even do odd things with dayglo.
I'm almost positive that Rick has never seen these folks - it's just
a case of some really whacky and creative people tapping into the
same alternate universe. Rick and I have a little bit of that kind of
telepathy, witness the Santa Cruz gig where we both showed up with
miniature electric guitars.

>9:40-10:10  Ted Killian w/ Dr. Bob Sterling
>I honestly have NO IDEA of how well (or ill) I played.

You played extremely well. I have no idea how well you intended to
play, but I was impressed. I didn't notice any of the problems you
cite, but then that's pretty typical. What did happen was more than
sufficient.

>10:20-10:50  Tom Heasley
>
>Double damn! I missed this one too.

This is the second time I've heard Tom this year (previously at the
Ought-One Festival in Montpelier). It's a rich and sonorous aural
experience that flies in the face of all the dumb clichés about what
tuba music is.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com