Re: Doug Wimbush/Tackhead

At 1:57 PM -0600 3/7/2002, Bill Cummings wrote:
>Yea, and they stole the BASSLINE (for whitelines) from a tune by NY Art
>Rock
>band, Liquid Liquid !!!

Not to mention the bassline to "Good Times" (one of my all-time fave
grooves) for Rappers Delight! But I think it's a little unfair to say
that they "stole" the musical elements that were used in the early
sugarhill rap records. The reason they used the "Good Times" line was
because in the clubs at the time, the MC's were using the
instrumental 12" mix of the tune to rap over. Probably the same was
true of the Liquid Liquid tune. I'm reading an interesting, if rather
enthusiastic, and not entirely well-written, but interesting
nonetheless, book on the history of DJ's and dance music and clubs
called "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life", by Bill Brewster and Frank
Broughton, that looks at a lot these issues.

BTW, Wimbush has long been one of my fave bassists. The guy manages
to totally over the top and completely in the pocket, as the
situation demands, I pretty much dig everything he's done. His
"Trippy Notes for Bass" cd is quite nice, and aptly titled.
Dave Trenkel                                New and Improv Music
http://www.newandimprov.com         improv@peak.org
                 Now Available: Minus: Dark Lit
"This is music all-consuming in its beauty and power"
                                -Jake TenPas OSU Daily Barometer