Subharmonic Synth

I distinctly remember seeing the then Frank Zappa band circa 1981
which had Scott Thunes on bass play a his Carvin 4-string through
a DBX subharmonic synthesizer at different points during the concert.

Imagine a synth bass on steroids (sort of like doubling electric
and synth bass but playing the same lines) and you get the idea.

Anyway, I was wondering just how massive a sound you'd get looping
it.  Huge monolithic glaciers of sound.

I imagine any sound you'd put through it would then have an octave
below line for your amusement.