RE: Subharmonic Synth (Virtualizer)

>Hi Mathias,
>I was the one who started this thread, not understanding how these devices
>work , and if they might be interesting to try on things like
>vocalizations
>that have very wet effects applied to them.   I guess I'm still somewhat
>unclear on the capabilities of these tools.
>The impression I now have is that both the kosmos and the dbx120 analyze
>the
>incoming material and more or less synthisize audio that is an octave
>below
>the lowest(determined by some algorithm?) sounds of the incoming material.
>The kosmos does this stereo image enhancement thing, but most reviewers
>are
>not that impressed with that effect.

the dbx filters 4 bands out and puts an octivider on each and then
filters the result again. Its impressive, but not acurate.

>Not sure exactly what the Polysubass can do, and if its a standalone
>processor like the others.

http://matthias.grob.org/pParad/ParaPoly.htm#Polysub
it asks for separate signals for each string. You can use several
kinds of polyphonic pickups though (since the original may not be
avalable for you instrument), as long as the level is right (could be
modified in the Polysubbass).
All the basses of my music are made with it. I usually use the
unfiltered piezo or magnetic sound mixed with it and dampen the
string a bit with the back hand (or wrist or... you know) at the
attack.

>I remain intersted in a device that might work as the dbx does, but
>perhaps
>also operate into a higher freq range without making the result muddy,
>etc.
>I'd like to use it for Stick and vocalizations - both with other effects
>applied to them, which could include pitch shifting.  Would one of these
>units do this?  modifications required?

pitch shifting is not in phase and therefore does not so much sound
as a part of the original sound. Also they all have some glitches,
especially when you feed it with a mix of notes.

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org